Summer Reading 2022
Celebrate a season of reading with Summer Spotlight: Saturday, June 4 – Saturday, August 27, 2022
For ages birth - 18
Read, learn, create, and enjoy at home and at the library this summer! Summer Spotlight features FREE fun and educational activities that will help get your kids ready for school in the fall. Supplies are limited; registration is required for some programs.
What's New for 2022
- Summer Spotlight Starter Kits: Visit your local Scott County Library to pick up your age-specific Summer Spotlight Starter Kit with reading log, booklists, activities and more beginning June 1st. Starter kits are available while supplies last.
Miss a starter kit? Our reading logs and booklists are available at right under Summer Spotlight Printable Activities!
- In-Person group programs at your library: Visit our events calendar to view all events and programs such as Spotlight Storytimes, arts and tech workshops, and games programming.
- Activity kits: Check out and bring home activities including: early literacy Take Home Play Kits, Techsplorer Backpacks, Escape the Haunted Library, and our new Tabletop Game Collection for families and adults.
- Reading Boost: For elementary-age beginning readers OR older readers needing extra practice. These packets include small incentives and an activity booklet that supports literacy development. Available to pick up starting June 1 at your local Scott County Library.
- Engineering Bingo Board: Complete five activities in a row to receive a engineering mini prize pack then complete the board for an additional prize. Activities and board created by Engineering & Manufacturing Council at Shakopee High School.
What's Returning for 2022
- Weekly To-Go activity packets: Visit your library to pick up a different project each week. Download a copy of the schedule (pdf).
- Live by Appointment and Story Stations: This summer the library will feature CoComelon and Encanto Story Stations, as well as Minute to Win It and the Rule of Sevens Escape Room Live By Appointment. Visit our events calendar for locations and times and to make an appointment exclusively for your family or group.
- Readmobile Visits: Visit the Readmobile page for a list of locations we'll visit this summer.
- Online reading log option for all ages: Hosted by Beanstack, you can use Summer Spotlight Online to track your reading. Stay motivated with virtual badges and compete along side your family to earn up to two free books.
Download and Print .pdf copies of some of our favorite To-Go activities. New activities added regularly.
- Reading Log ages 0-5 (100/500 books)
- Reading log ages 6-11 (1000/3000 minutes)
- Reading log ages 12-18 (1000/3000 minutes)
- Reading logs ages 19+
- 0-5 Booklist
- 6-11 Booklist
- 12-18 Booklist
- To Go - Memory Lane
- To Go - Beaded Keychain
- To Go - Zippy Zoomers @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the library's Spotlight Crew. We're sorry; we are unable to run our Spotlight Crew program this summer.
For more information this summer and all year, sign up for our newsletters, full of featured events for kids and adults, delivered to your inbox every month!
Visit the COVID-19 page for current information on library services.