Transient Merchant License
The term “transient merchant” includes any person, individual, co-partnership, limited liability company, and corporation, both as principal and agent, who engage in, do, or transact any temporary and transient business in this state, either in one locality, or in traveling from place to place in this state, selling goods, wares, and merchandise; and who, for the purpose of carrying on such business, hire, lease, occupy, or use a building, structure, vacant lot, or railroad car for the exhibition and sale of such goods, wares, and merchandise.
The term “transient merchant” does not include a seller or exhibitor in a firearms collector show involving two or more sellers or exhibitors.
Print: Transient Merchant License Application (PDF) and fill it out.
Apply in person at the Scott County Government Center
Remember to Bring:
- Transient Merchant Application (linked above).
- Proof of workers' compensation insurance coverage or affidavit of sole proprietorship.
- Bond in the amount of $1,000 up to $3,000 made out of Scott County.
- Copy of a valid seller's permit issued under M.S. 297A.04 or a written statement that no merchandise will be sold that is taxable under M.S. 297A.
- List of merchandise to be sold that includes serial number (if any); owner’s actual cost; designation by number corresponding with a number to be affixed to each item by a tag or Affidavit-If sale is related to insurance, bankrupt, insolvent, assignee, trustee, testator, executor, administrator, receiver, syndicate, wholesaler or manufacturer, or closing out sale, or as a sale of any goods, wares, and merchandise, damaged by smoke, fire, water, or otherwise, or in any similar form. Forms should have the following:
- Showing all the facts relating to the reasons and character of sale to be advertised or represented.
- Showing that such sale is in fact as is to be advertised and represented.
- Statement of the names of the persons from whom the goods, wares, merchandise to be advertised or represented were obtained.
- Date of delivery to the person applying for the license.
- Place from which the goods, wares, and merchandise were last taken, and all details necessary to exactly locate and fully itemize all goods, wares, and merchandise to be sold.
- Affidavit sworn to before a person authorized to administer oaths by such person applying for license; or if a partnership, by a member of such partnership; or if a corporation, by one of the officers of such corporation.
County fee: $150. You can pay with cash, check (payable to Scott County) or credit card. If you pay with a credit card you will be paying a 2.45% convenience fee.