Ordination or Ministerial Credentials

Scott County Update - 3/17/2020

Scott County will close all county buildings effective close of business today, March 17, to protect the safety of Scott County employees and residents.  This closure will remain in effect until at least Wednesday, April 1, 2020. 

Scott County staff will continue to provide all life-safety and emergency services and will perform all services that can be performed through email, online, telephone, or other electronic means.

County staff are developing alternative ways to provide services and will update the public as new information becomes available.

For an ordained person (both Minnesota residents and non-residents) to be authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in Minnesota, the person must be at least 21 years old and must file their "credentials of license or ordination" with a Minnesota county. Once this is done, marriages may be performed anywhere in the State of Minnesota.

Application Process

There are two ways you can file your Ministerial Credentials or Ordination Papers:

Option 1: File using the Drop Box

Collect your original ministerial credentials or ordination papers, and drop off in our drop box

Shakopee Customer Service Center

Option 2: File by mail

Please mail a copy of your original Ministerial Credentials or Ordination Papers to:

Scott County Government Center
Attn: Customer Service
200 Fourth Avenue West
Shakopee, MN 55379

Remember to Bring

A copy of your original Ministerial Credentials or Ordination Papers
Your identification.


There is no cost for filing in Scott County.

Additional information

You will have to indicate what county you have your credentials registered in on the certificate of each marriage you perform.