Real ID Drivers License or ID
Appointments for Minnesota Driver’s Licenses and ID cards
Our Customer Service department offers appointments for Minnesota driver’s license and identification card renewals, replacements due to a name change, an address change or if your card was lost or stolen. All driver's license and identification card transactions are required to schedule an appointment for service.
Things you can do to add to the success of your appointment
- Decide what type of license will work for you. License options (Link)
- Save time at the counter and pre-apply on line here: Driver Services (Link)
- Schedule an appointment - for the best possible experience, you will want to use Chrome or Safari - Internet Explorer may not function properly.
- Any name change: You must update your name with Social Security prior to scheduling an appointment. Make sure to bring your certified name change documents to your appointment.
- New or returning resident to Minnesota: you are required to pass the knowledge (written) exam before applying for a MN license. We are not an exam office and do not offer any testing at this location.
What is a Real ID Drivers License or ID?
The REAL ID Act establishes minimum standards for proof of identity and requires applicants to meet these standards when applying for a compliant card. Proof of identity, Social Security number, and Minnesota residence address must be presented at the time the first application for a REAL ID compliant card is made, even if you have previously submitted such documents when applying for a Minnesota Driver’s License or Identification Card. Original documents are required. Photocopies, scans, and faxes will not be accepted.
You may renew your current Minnesota Driver’s License or Identification Card without presenting any additional documentation. If you opt not to apply for a REAL ID compliant card, the card you receive will be marked as not for federal purposes. You may only have one REAL ID compliant card, regular card, or enhanced card. You cannot have more than one Minnesota Driver’s License or Identification Card.
What do I need to apply for a Real ID?
Real ID update
REAL ID Federal Enforcement Deadline Extended to May 7, 2025
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is extending the REAL ID full enforcement deadline to May 7, 2025. The deadline was previously set for later this year.
"Protecting the health, safety, and security of our communities is our top priority," said DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas. "As our country continues to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, extending the REAL ID full enforcement deadline will give states needed time to reopen their driver's licensing operations and ensure their residents can obtain a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card."
Beginning May 7, 2025, Minnesotans will not be able to use their standard driver's license to board domestic flights or enter federal facilities. Instead, they will need a REAL ID, enhanced driver's license or ID card, passport or passport card or another acceptable form of identification for federal purposes.