Highways 169/41/78 Interchange
Construction Year: 2018
Community: Jackson Township, Louisville Township
- US Highway 169
- State Highway 41
- County Highway 78
- County Highway 14
Project Lead: Scott County
Partners: MnDOT, Jackson Township, Louisville Township, SMSC
Contractor: Ames Construction, Inc.
Bid Date: July 31, 2018
Start Date: September 17, 2018
Current Traffic Impacts: (Dates subject to change)
Monday, June 24 through late July: County Highway 78 is closed between Emery Way and County Highway 69.
- The detour uses Highway 169 and County Highway 69. See map.
- Businesses near the Highways 169/41/78 intersection remain accessible from Highway 169.
- Emery Way businesses continue to be accessible from County Highway 78.
- The closure is necessary to complete pipe work and concrete paving at the new County Highway 78/Louisville Rd intersection
The following lane closures are necessary to continue concrete paving work under the new County Highway 14 overpass. The overpass is not yet open to traffic.
Monday, July 15 through Tuesday, July 16; daily
- Southbound Highway 169 will be reduced to a single lane of traffic between Highway 41 and 150th St from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Northbound Highway 169 will be reduced to a single lane of traffic between 150th St and Highway 41 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Watch this short video before traveling through the work zone.
Construction crews poured concrete for the bridge deck of the new County Highway 14 overpass on April 24, 2019.
Another view of the contractor pouring concrete for the new County Highway 14 bridge deck on April 24, 2019. The new overpass is south of the Highways 169/41/78 intersection.
Construction crews placed beams that will support the driving surface of the new County Highway 14 overpass over southbound Highway 169 on Jan. 22, 2019
Another view of crews placing beams for the new County Highway 14 overpass over southbound Highway 169 on Jan. 22, 2019
Construction crews placed beams that will support the driving surface of the new County Highway 14 overpass over northbound Highway 169 in March 2019
169 ch 14
Updated Construction Drone Footage: June 25th, 2019
The following footage shows the progress on the frontage roads on both the North and South sides of 169 as well as the new overpass that is being created.
Construction Drone Footage:
Construction Schedule: (Dates subject to change)
- See the project overview and construction schedule at-a-glance:
- See Winter-Early Spring 2019 construction highlights [PDF]
- Construction crews are constructing a new bridge over Highway 169 just north of County Road 14.
- Crews are constructing a new retaining wall near County Road 78 to support the new frontage road system that will open to traffic in early summer 2019.
- Some utilities continue to be relocated. No planned service disruptions are anticipated during this work. Utility companies will directly contact property owners in advance of any scheduled service disruptions.
- Construction crews will be working Monday-Friday, 7 am to 8 pm
- No nighttime work is anticipated at this time
Watch the Groundbreaking Video Below:
Scott County and MnDOT designed an interchange at US Highway 169 and Trunk Highway (TH) 41/County Highway (CH) 78. Scott County was successful in obtaining federal funding to expand the scope of the project to include a proposed overpass over US 169 near CH 14 and extension of the frontage road system along the east side of US 169 between CH 78 and CH 14. The expectation is to begin construction in September 2018.
MnDOT has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is not required and has issued a Negative Declaration Order for the project.
Additional information including notices for upcoming public meetings on the project will be posted on this page as it becomes available.
Purpose & Justification
This project will improve the safety and mobility in this area by removing direct access to US Highway 169. This project is consistent with the long-term vision of converting this segment of US Highway 169 into a freeway.
This project will be funded in part by the Scott County Transportation Sales Tax.