Housing and Homelessness

COVID-19 Update 4/16 2:00 PM

In response to the current COVID-19 situation, all Scott County buildings, including libraries, are closed to the public until May 4th.  This is to protect your health and safety, as well as ours.  We will be conducting most business electronically via email and phone.

Scott and Carver Counties, in partnership with local non-profit agencies, may have assistance for those who are currently experiencing homelessness or who are unable to afford their current housing.

Shelter Options

  • Families Moving Forward 

     works with families in need of emergency shelter. Visit their website to find out if you are eligible for assistance. 
  • Day One Services and Southern Valley Alliance for Battered Women 

      can provide assistance  if you are currently fleeing domestic violence or preparing to leave an abusive situation. Services include resources and emergency shelter options.
  • Youth Services Network 

    assists unaccompanied youth (under the age of 21) to access available shelter options across the metro area. 
  • CAP Agency has limited temporary shelter options for singles and families based on funding availability and extreme weather.

Are You On The Verge of Losing Your Housing?

If you unable to maintain your current housing and are facing homelessness, you may qualify for assistance from one or more of these programs.

  • Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program

    can assist households with limited financial assistance for rent/mortgage. This housing fund can also be used for households that can afford rent, but need help with paying a security deposit or their first month's rent.  FHPAP funds are limited and households must be screened by the CAP Agency. Please contact the CAP Agency, (952) 496-2125, to begin the screening process  
  • Crisis Funds

    are available through Scott County's Income Maintenance Department. The program provides short-term help for families (including minor children or pregnant woman) related to unexpected emergency expenses, such as an eviction or utility disconnect.  Crisis Funds can only be issued once in a 3-year period.   If you want to see if you meet the program requirements, please call (952) 496-8686.
  • Emergency General Assistance (EGA) 

    can provide short-term help for qualifying adults faced with an unexpected emergency expense, such as an eviction or utility disconnect. EGA can only be issued once in a 12-month period. If you want to see if you meet the program requirements, please call (952) 496-8686.
  • Scott County CDA Foreclosure Counseling.

    If you’re behind on your mortgage or struggling to keep up with your payments, Scott County CDA may be able to help. Go to the CDA website to begin the screening process.

Housing Subsidies

Housing subsidies are accessed through several sources. 

  • Scott County CDA


    oversees Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8), Special Voucher Programs, Public Housing, and First Time Homeowner programs. Applications must be submitted directly to the Scott County CDA.  Wait lists for Section 8 and public housing are often closed due to high demand and low turnover.  CDA's current wait list status.  
  • Project-based Subsidized Housing

    offers subsidized rent that is tied to the property. Some of the rent amounts are calculated by your income, while others receive tax credits to offer a rental rate that is lower than the area's average rent. Feel free to review the list of the subsidized properties in Scott County. Please note that you'll need to contact each property separately to learn more about whether they're currently accepting applications, and their rental criteria.
  • Coordinated Entry

     is a process developed to ensure that all people experiencing a housing crisis have fair and equal access and are quickly identified, assessed for, referred, and connected to housing and assistance based on their strengths and needs.  Coordinated Entry is NOT a waiting list for housing resources or services.  Clients will NOT know where they are placed within the Coordinated Entry system. Please contact the site below to begin your screening process.
    • If you are age 24 or younger and currently experiencing homeless, please contact Launch Ministry, to begin the screening process.
    • Adults  who are currently experiencing homelessness should contact CAP (952) 496-2125.